top of page

Vacant Dwellings

Though a home may be unoccupied, that doesn’t mean that it should be uninsured. Actually, vacant dwellings are at higher risk than occupied homes, since there is no one to monitor them, so you should make sure that they’ll be covered properly. We at Armor Insurance Professionals provide personalized attention to the needs of your unoccupied dwelling and can help you get these kinds of coverage, among others:


  • Liability Coverage: This helps protect you if someone claims an injury or damage to their property while on your premises.

  • Actual Cash Value: We can cover the replacement or repair costs, factoring in depreciation, if your property is damaged or stolen.

  • Named Peril Coverage: Named perils include events like fire, explosion, lightning, wind, and hail.

  • Vandalism and Malicious Mischief: This option can cover costs due to acts of vandalism and mischief while you are away.

Who needs vacant dwelling insurance?

Generally, the longer you leave your home unmonitored, the greater the risk it has of theft or damage. If you know your dwelling will be unoccupied for a lengthy amount of time, first review your homeowners policy to check if it can provide coverage during your vacancy; your insurance company may be willing to extend your policy for a specified amount of time. If not, consider purchasing vacant dwelling insurance if:


  • The duration of your vacancy is at least 3 months

  • Your home is on the market and the amount of time it will take to sell may be long or unpredictable

  • You are making renovations to your home

  • You are traveling for an extended amount of time

  • Your home is used for vacation

  • You are required to be away from home temporarily due to a medical treatment, surgical procedure, or recovery from an illness/injury


Why should I insure my vacant dwelling?

Leaving your home unoccupied can expose it to a plethora of potential risks, such as:


  • Trespassers

  • Theft

  • Vandalism

  • Insect infestation

  • Frozen or broken pipes


However, you can minimize your financial risk by having an insurance policy to cover any repair or replacement costs when needed.

What factors impact the cost of vacant dwelling insurance?

The cost of your policy can depend on several factors:


  • The geographic location of your home

  • Your home’s value

  • Specific coverages you select

  • The duration of your vacancy

  • The safety of your home

  • Whether your home is furnished or not


Keep in mind that with Armor Insurance Professionals, you get to personalize your insurance policies to suit your needs and circumstances. As a brokering agency, we can compare prices from different companies for you at no cost. Need help deciding on the right amount of protection that fits in your budget? Get an online quote now or speak with a friendly agent to get started!

bottom of page