10 Fun Facts About Insurance
1. When Microsoft bought all rights to photographer Charles O’Rear’s famous “Bliss” photo, aka the Windows XP wallpaper, they requested to have the original film. However, this meant Microsoft would have had to an exorbitant amount for the photo, as delivery services declined to ship the film since it cost more than their insurance limit. Thus, Microsoft bought O’Rear a plane ticket to Seattle so that he could personally deliver it instead.
2. Jackie Chan’s stunts are so dangerous that insurance companies refuse to insure his productions, so Chan personally trains all of his stuntmen and agrees to pay for their medical bills himself.
3. Starbucks pays more for employee health insurance than they do for coffee.
4. In 2003, Pepsi hosted a sweepstakes to win $1 billion and paid $10 million in insurance in case anyone actually won the grand prize.
5. David Beckham insured his legs for £100 million ($195 million dollars at the time).
6. Life insurance for the Apollo 11 astronauts would’ve been extremely expensive, so the astronauts signed autographs and gave them to their families instead. If they did not make it back from the moon, their families could sell their autographs for lucrative amounts of money.
7. AquaFresh insured actress America Ferrera’s smile for $10 million when she became a sponsor for them.
8. According to Stephanie Courtney, who plays Flo in Progressive commercials, it takes 1 hour to prepare Flo’s retro-styled hair and another hour to do her makeup.
9. Benjamin Franklin is considered a founding father of insurance, since he was an early proponent of insurance and founded a fire insurance company in Philadelphia.
10. Alien Abduction Insurance is very popular in the state of Florida. An agency there has sold over 100,000 policies.